As part of its continued success, we have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Ecologist to join our team and assist in the growth of our Ecology Services team in Manchester.
We are seeking an individual who can advise clients, design and implement suitable work programmes and has excellent written and verbal communication skills. In your role, you will be required to support the Ecology lead through delivery and management of ecological projects, business development, as well as the management, mentoring and guidance for junior staff.
You should be highly motivated, able to work under your own initiative and have a drive and ambition to contribute to the ongoing success of the business. You will be expected to have strong communication skills and be able to deal with suppliers, clients and peers effectively at all levels.
Working for REC you can expect to be part of a highly motivated team within a forward thinking aspirational business.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Delivery and management of a range of ecological projects in various business sectors, to the desired quality and standard and within budget – specialist species surveys, preliminary ecological assessment, ecological impact assessment, habitats regulations assessment, EPS licensing, design of mitigation, monitoring and biodiversity enhancement;
- Management of the northern Ecology team with coaching and mentoring of junior staff to support their career development;
- Undertake business development activities, including preparation of bids and proposals, marketing and client development;
- Regular communication with clients, team members and other stakeholders to keep them up to date with the progress, status and findings of projects;
- Assisting with business forecasting, invoicing and resourcing;
- Pro-actively identifying opportunities for continuous improvement and efficient ways of working within projects and more widely across the business;
- Acting as a professional representative for the REC business and in doing so pro-actively promoting the REC brand and values both internally and externally; and
- Champion for a safe working environment and commitment to REC’s Health & Safety Policies.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Around 5 or more years’ experience within a similar role in a consultancy or contracting environment.
- Honours degree and/or post-graduate qualification in ecology or a related biological/environmental science discipline;
- Membership of CIEEM; and
- At least one European Protected Species licence (Class 2 bats would be highly desirable).
- Full-time, 40 hours per week
- Expectation to travel in the north of England and wider depending on business needs
We offer a range of learning and development opportunities depending upon the role, with all employees having access to a range of internally delivered training modules and external training as standard. In our science based roles we offer structured career progression, more details of which can be discussed during the recruitment process. In addition to a competitive salary, we offer as a minimum: Pension scheme, Healthcare Cash Plan, Retail Discount Scheme, Cycle to Work scheme, Discounted Gym membership rates and local Reward & Recognition schemes.