Resource and Environmental Consultants (REC) is part of the Concept Life Sciences Group which itself is part of the FTSE250 listed company, Spectris plc. REC is an independent, multi-disciplinary UK environmental consultancy specialising in a comprehensive range of environmental, inspection, regulatory and risk management services. With over 20 years’ experience and 120 staff, REC delivers environmental solutions nationally from ten local offices throughout the UK. Headquartered in Manchester, REC provides technical expertise in both the built and natural environment across a variety of sectors – from large government agencies and major developers, to public sector bodies and housing associations.
REC’s Ecology business is at an exciting stage in its evolution and growth, and this new Principal Ecologist position presents an excellent opportunity for an experienced ecologist looking for future career development and opportunity. The growing team undertakes a range of ecological assessments and licensed species surveys for a range of clients across the UK – informing planning, construction, mitigation and biodiversity enhancement. It is supported by a pool of expert external associates and field support from other environmental scientists within the business where required. We are looking to make Ecology a truly national business with ecologists in all our five main offices.
As a Principal Consultant Ecologist, you will be part of REC’s busy multi-disciplinary consultancy team based in our Manchester office, as well as provide support and leadership to the wider Ecology team throughout the UK. Working within an established consultancy team, you will also work alongside corporate teams including Business Development, Marketing and HSEQ.
- Management and supervision of the Ecology Team on a day-to-day basis which will include mentoring of junior staff.
- Preparation of Fee Proposals and Technical Reports to a high standard and technical review/authorisation of these documents.
- Local Authority and client liaison.
- Attendance at Planning Appeal Hearings and Public Inquiries when required.
- Project management to be completed using our dedicated software system Synergist which will include the timely raising of project invoices by the monthly deadline.
- Preparation of monthly financial reports and key performance indicator information to be submitted to Operations Director.
- Assistance with Business Development activities as and when required.
- You will be required to maintain membership of appropriate technical bodies such as the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM).
- To work towards your specific Performance Objectives, as agreed with your line manager during the annual performance review, to ensure suitable career progression in line with personal and REC aims.
- To remain familiar with the full scope of services offered by REC for the purposes of fulfilling cross-selling opportunities.
- To provide assistance within other REC Group division project work as and when necessary.
- Hold a BSc (Hons), MSc (Preferable) in a related subject such as Ecology, Natural Sciences or a related subject.
- Full Membership of (CIEEM)(Charted Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management).
- Chartered Ecologist or Chartered Environmentalist status would be a distinct advantage, if not already chartered, the applicant should be in a position to become chartered or in the process of becoming chartered.
- Must have an in-depth knowledge of a Ecology Consultancy environment.
- Hold both Class-1 bat and newt Natural England Licenses.
- Ability to hold GCN or Bat mitigation licenses would be desirable.
- Proven experience in line management and mentoring junior staff
- Full Time – 40 hours per week
- Monday to Friday 9am – 6pm with the requirement for flexibility dependent upon business requirement
We offer a range of learning and development opportunities depending upon the role, with all employees having access to a range of internally delivered training modules as standard. In our science based roles we offer structured career progression, more details of which can be discussed during the recruitment process. In addition to a competitive salary, we offer as a minimum: Pension scheme, Healthcare Cash Plan, Retail Discount Scheme, Cycle to Work scheme, Childcare Vouchers, Discounted Gym membership rates and local Reward & Recognition schemes.