Resource and Environmental Consultants (REC) is a multi-disciplinary consultancy, specialising in a comprehensive range of environmental services, inspection, regulatory and risk management. With over 20 years’ experience in the property and construction industry, REC delivers environmental solutions from eleven local offices throughout the UK and Ireland. REC provide technical expertise in both the built and natural environment across a variety of sectors – from large government agencies and major developers, to public sector bodies and housing associations.
Fantastic opportunity to join the Asbestos team as a Laboratories Manager based in our Manchester site. The role of a Laboratories Manager is to work effectively with Senior Management, laboratory staff and customers within the asbestos division in order to fully manage the day-to-day capacity and resource requirements across all of REC’s asbestos labs. The position reports to the Operational Director for the asbestos division and will oversee lab activity from staff management, reporting and major customer perspective. The role also plays a key role in Quality within the laboratories.
Main Duties to:
- Promotion of a collaborative approach between laboratories, managing lab staff effectively and working with field staff to continually improve laboratory efficiencies and turnaround times in line with best working practice, regulation, legislation and business strategy.
- Assisting the Quality Manager to ensure that all laboratory practice is in line with REC’s Quality Manual and the IMS and, working with lab staff, ensure that appropriate levels of audit of procedural compliance are maintained within the lab as per the requirements of the quality manual and IMS.
- Working with the Operational Director and laboratory staff to develop and implement new methods as appropriate
- Attending client meetings where required.
- Directing and training staff to deal with major laboratory customers across the UK to ensure that client expectations are consistently met or exceeded.
- Direct line management to analysts and working with the senior lab analysts to act as the main point of contact for each regional lab with regards to any enquiries.
- Working with the laboratory staff to ensure consistency of working practice across all the laboratories.
- Co-ordinate and report internal and external proficiency testing schemes as required across the laboratories.
- Performing audits throughout the four laboratories across the UK.
- Perform asbestos analysis as required (points to be confirmed).
- Assisting the Operational Director with laboratory staff requirement forecasting.
- Assisting the Operational Director with laboratory revenue forecasting.
- Acting as an ambassador for the REC business and in doing so pro-actively promoting the REC brand and values both internally and externally.
- Communicating effectively with colleagues throughout the business to share resources, technical knowledge and generally support all forms of business activity.
- Undertaking weekly invoicing alongside.
- P401 and experience in asbestos testing and consultancy.
- Excellent knowledge of the ISO 17025 quality systems, their implementation and management.
- A good understanding of clients’ needs and requirements.
- Strong influencing and negotiation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Robust project and programme management capability.
- Full time – 40 hours per week with flexibility required to meet the needs of the business.
We offer a range of learning and development opportunities depending upon the role, with all employees having access to a range of internally delivered training modules as standard. We offer structured career progression, more details of which can be discussed during the recruitment process. In addition to a competitive salary, we offer as a minimum: Pension scheme, Healthcare Cash Plan, Retail Discount Scheme, Cycle to Work scheme, Childcare Vouchers, Discounted Gym membership rates and local Reward & Recognition schemes. A car or car allowance would be provided.