Resource & Environmental Consultants (REC) is a national, multi-disciplinary environmental consultancy with over 20 years’ experience in environmental, regulatory and risk management services. With over 120 staff based throughout the UK, REC provides technical expertise in both the built and natural environment across a variety of sectors – from public sector bodies and housing associations, to major developers and retailers.
REC provides a range of environmental consultancy expertise across the disciplines of Air Quality, Asbestos (including air testing, surveying, project management and bulk analysis), Acoustics, Ecology, Contaminated Land, Geotechnics and Ground Investigation.
As part of REC’s ongoing growth and the development, we are looking for an experienced Principal Consultant/Team Leader for our Northern Region based in our Manchester office.
The key aspects of the role are to take responsibility for the operation and technical output of the land team, to work with the Regional Director to develop and grow the team, to actively work with and communicate with our clients and to carry out business development to promote the capabilities of REC and develop new business in the region.
There will be regular travel to meet with clients and to attend site, as well as the occasional need to visit our other offices.
Applicants will be expected to be ambitious, goal driven and possess a genuine desire to deliver commercially focused and quality services to our clients and work to grow and develop the team and its client base.
Main Duties to:
- Responsibility for all aspects of the leadership, management, development and financial reporting of the Manchester Land team.
- Proactive client engagement/management.
- Preparing commercially considered proposals and bids.
- Managing the team and coordinating the teams activities.
- Leading business development activities across the region to promote and develop REC’s business and service offerings in order to further establish our market presence.
- Timely recruitment of new employees within the team, providing leadership and management.
- Work with the Directors to develop a client focused culture within REC and identify opportunities for REC with respect to new business opportunities and new business propositions.
- Anticipating risks to the business and mitigating them as far as possible.
- Remaining familiar and operating in line with REC’s management system, procedures and practice.
- Prepare weekly/monthly reports for the Divisional Director to communicate the progress, activity, operations, outcomes, sales, gross profit, etc in line with the Business Strategy and Key Performance Indicator (KPI) reporting and tracking requirements.
- A strong communicator with excellent verbal, written and influencing skills.
- Proven geo-environmental knowledge and background.
- Proven report writing and presentation skills.
- Client facing/focused experience.
- Commercially savvy with proven technical proficiency.
- Experienced in financial management and business forecasting.
- Dedicated team player (both immediate technical team and wider management team).
- A track record in team management and mentoring.
- Experience of delivering results against operational, quality, safety and cost targets.
- A full UK driving license.
- Collaborative and inclusive personal style at all management levels.
Working Hours & Location
- 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday 9am – 5.30pm.
- Permanent base in the Manchester office.
What we offer
We offer a range of learning and development opportunities depending upon the role, with all employees having access to a range of internally delivered training modules as standard. In our science based roles we offer structured career progression, more details of which can be discussed during the recruitment process. In addition to a competitive salary, we offer as a minimum: Pension scheme, Healthcare Cash Plan, Retail Discount Scheme, Cycle to Work scheme, Childcare Vouchers, Discounted Gym membership rates and local Reward & Recognition schemes.