Resource & Environmental Consultants (REC) is a national, multi-disciplinary environmental consultancy with over 20 years’ experience in environmental, regulatory and risk management services. With over 120 staff based throughout the UK, REC provides technical expertise in both the built and natural environment across a variety of sectors – from public sector bodies and housing associations, to major developers and retailers.
REC provides a range of expertise across Air Quality, Asbestos (including air testing, surveying, project management and bulk analysis), Acoustics, Ecology, Contaminated Land and Ground Investigation.
The key aspects of the role will be to take responsibility for the development, implementation and enforcement of policy, practice and procedure within REC; to help to deliver and monitor the quality of our services; to protect the brand and reputation of REC; to comply with relevant laws, regulations and professional standards; and to mitigate risk from all aspects of our operations.
There will be regular travel to our offices and sites around the UK and we are looking for an experienced SHEQ Manager.
Applicants will be expected to be goal driven and possess a desire to continually improve REC’s business by creating a safe and organised work environment that enables customer expectations to be met and exceeded. The successful applicant will be required to demonstrate:
Main Duties to:
- Implement and maintain the aims and objectives of the Company Health & Safety policy including reviewing and updating on any legislation, revisions or updates.
- Ensure Health & Safety standards are implemented across all sites by providing support and advice to company employees on all aspects relating to health, safety and environmental matters.
- Work in cooperation with the Quality Managers in the Asbestos Division.
- Provide timely and appropriate recommendations to the Board.
- Chair quarterly Health & Safety meetings.
- Ensure that regular audits take place in accordance with our documented procedures and that the findings are reported and communicated in an open, frank and transparent manner to the Managers and Directors as appropriate, along with proposed actions/mitigation.
- Set, monitor and review objectives relating to health, safety, environment and quality – and learn from the outcomes in order to continuously improve.
- Risk management in cooperation with the Operation Managers and Technical Managers to embed safe and suitable methods, working practices and operations and to ensure that our procedure and practice is fit for purpose and all times and that safety is never compromised.
- Prepare and produce regular metrics and reports on the performance of the H&S, quality and environmental management systems.
- Provide guidance and assistance to the operational and technical management team in relation to the development of RAMS.
- Deliver health & safety workshops/tool box talks to employees.
- Provide input and technical support and knowledge to tenders.
- Ensure that all work undertaken comply with the requirements of relevant legislation and internal H&S procedures and standards.
- Carry out a programme of site and manufacturing audits and safety inspections.
- Maintain records of audits and inspections, ensuring necessary corrective actions are agreed and implemented.
- Develop a culture of ‘team working’ to ensure smooth operations, consistency and process improvements where possible.
- Provide clear objectives for employees in terms of daily activity, weekly, monthly and annual SHEQ goals.
- Investigate all accidents and near misses within 24 hours, including liaising with clients and/or enforcement authorities as necessary.
- Working with all levels of management, generate business growth through public and private sector tendering.
- A strong communicator with excellent verbal, written and influencing skills.
- Able to evaluate, monitor and present ideas and data.
- A minimum of three years’ experience in a SHEQ Management role ideally within an environmental and/or engineering consultancy.
- Full understanding of relevant UK Health, Safety & Environmental legislation and standards including BSI ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and BS OHSAS 18001.
- NEBOSH Diploma.
- Proven experience of Quality Management from an Asbestos perspective would be a distinct advantage – particularly in relation to maintaining the requirements of the ISO/IEC 17025 and 17020 standards and REC’s Quality Manual.
- Experience of delivering results against operational, service, quality, safety and cost targets.
- A full UK driving licence.
- Collaborative and inclusive personal style at all management levels.
- Commercially aware.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office packages including email and document management software.
- 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday 9am – 5.30pm.
We offer a range of learning and development opportunities depending upon the role, with all employees having access to a range of internally delivered training modules as standard. In our science based roles we offer structured career progression, more details of which can be discussed during the recruitment process. In addition to a competitive salary, we offer as a minimum: Pension scheme, Healthcare Cash Plan, Retail Discount Scheme, Cycle to Work scheme, Childcare Vouchers, Discounted Gym membership rates and local Reward & Recognition schemes.